Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Update: Audrey knows best

Hi guys,
Just thought I'd fill you in on a few things that have been floating around in my head for the last couple of weeks. I've recently gotten into some of my more neglected hobbies and have found myself contemplating politics and the environment. And, most importantly, I've been learning about Audrey....

Firstly, I would like to announce my renewed love of crochet (I have now made three berets) and art. I was being a bit slack with my art for a while, but since my new Copic markers have arrived I have created a fair few artworks and I've done a bit of sketching and a new drawing in pastel. I love getting crafty again, And, while it can be time consuming it is definitely nice to be able to create something with your own hands.

Okay, so the environment and politics. Some of you may have noticed the link I posted on the facebook page? Or not. The thing is, there are a lot of campaigns going around the world at the moment about how the Great Barrier Reef is in danger because of a port expansion they are planning in Australia. Now, regardless of how you feel about the reef, I would like you all to go have a good look around the internet at some Australian sites (like ABC for example) and make sure you know what exactly is going on before you judge. The proposed dredging is at shore and the material is being moved to a position that is 35km away from the nearest reef. Material will need to be tested before shifting etc. I love the environment, but I think some of the lies about "dredging on the reef", "digging up the reef" and "dumping on the reef" are all ridiculous. Please note that the world heritage area (to the shoreline) is not completely taken up by reef. You have to hop on a boat and travel a couple of hours to actually find any reef! So yes please consider before you go listening to greenpeace, WWF or those environmentalist politicians and just don't sign anything until you are completely sure. If you want any information I will happily link you to a 200 page document that the company had to prepare for the government with plenty of information about the environmental impacts If you are interested in reading it.

Finally, I am reading a book about Audrey. It is called 'What Would Audrey Do' and it's by Pamela Clarke Keogh. I highly recommend it to Audrey fans and think if you haven't already joined the Audrey fan club the book will certainly convince you to.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

1 comment:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Oooh, that book sounds like it would be right up my alley. Thank you for the lovely introduction.

I'm the first person to describe myself as having eclectic tastes and hobbies, and really enjoy rekindling a relationship with various things that have been put on the back burner from time-to-time, too. It's great to see how old hobbies, passions, etc fit into your new, current life.

♥ Jessica