Sunday, January 1, 2012

Review: Torment by Lauren Kate (Fallen 2)

My First Read of 2012!

THE DETAILS:
Pages: 452
Genre: Teenage Fiction, Fantasy
Release Date: 09/01/2010
Publisher:CORGI
I bought this one in store

THE BLURB:

Love Never Dies...

It took Lucinda an eternity to find her beloved angel, Daniel. But he waited for her. Now they are forced apart again, to protect Luce from the Outcasts - immortals who want her dead. During their separation, Luce learns about her mysterious past lives. But the more she discovers, the more she suspects Daniel is hiding something.

What if Daniel's version of the past isn't true?
Is it really their destiny to be together?
Or is Luce actually meant to be with somebody else?


MY REVIEW:
'Torment' was definitely another surprisingly good read. It started off a little slower than 'Fallen' and it changed my mind towards the end of the novel. It was one of those books that was enjoyable, but still could have been so much better with a bit more work and attention to detail.

Like in 'Fallen' Lauren Kate created some very beautiful and interesting scenes, but could have elaborated a bit more description wise to make the reader really appreciate them. I thought that the book was very original scene wise, but could not be appreciated fully because it was vaguely written.

One of the things I enjoyed about the sequel to 'Fallen' was that I got to learn more about the Announcers. I liked that the series' mythology was still growing with the next book. This added some more interest to the novel and made the book feel less like a sequel.

One thing that I was annoyed about with this book was the lack of character development. I feel like a knew more about the minor characters than I did about Luce or Daniel. I guess this was a good thing for the ending because it left a lot of mystery in regards to what actually happened. Some people complain that this is a paranormal romance trait, but this book feels even more vague. At least with Twilight I knew that Edward liked music etc.

I also got annoyed with Luce's constant wining about how she was at fault for everything and 'why would anyone want to save her?' blah blah blah. That was a bit Bella-ish.

Overall I think this book was pretty good. While the writing sometimes disturbed me at it's vagueness the ending won me over. I decided to give this book 4/5 stars. It was very close to becoming a 3.5/5 star rating though. I hope the next book is an improvement.
Fallen Series:
1. Fallen Review
2. Torment
3. Passion

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

1 comment:

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

Luce's whining and Daniel's overprotection annoyed me so much. I don't like a heroin who doesn't stand up for herself.. I even like Cam more than Daniel :p