Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

THE DETAILS:Pages: 391
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Release Date: 2010
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Bought book myself

THE BLURB:
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.


THE REVIEW:
I have heard lots of things about this book. The good things I've heard don't out way the bad, yet I still decided to read this book. I decided to read this book for my self so that I could see where I stand in all of this. I'm sick of other people deciding these things for me and this is one book that I'm glad that I read.

Nothing like a paranormal romance to distract you from your life. This was one good paranormal romance. The only thing was that I had those reviewers words playing in the back of my mind singing some sort of insane psycho opera "This is a bit twilighty...". I did notice the similarities, but many of them were pretty general with all paranormal romances. I think this book was on a par with twilight. It was a fun exciting read, I'm looking very forward to the sequel and it wasn't super smart (but not super dumb either). I preferred Bella's innocence in Twilight, but preferred how the book ended in Hush Hush. Hush Hush felt like it got more closure with its ending and the  male hero doesn't keep saying "I'm a monster..."etc. which I had to admit got a bit tiring in the Twilight Saga. Really though, the storyline felt a little bit more involved and wasn't as much like Twilight as I thought it would be.

Fitzpatrick's characters needed a little bit more work I think. I felt like I new what the best Friend, heroine and hero looked like, but no one else. I new that Jules was tall, but I had no idea what colour his hair, skin or eyes were.Apart from the appearances I knew the characters. They all seemed pretty realistic. I do think that Vee was dumbed down a little bit too much though.

The storyline was a pretty well thought out. I liked all of the interesting stuff in there about fallen angels. It wasn't super predictable, but I did get suspicious a little too early in the novel. I also think that this really showed off the daftness of the main character. There is a small town, suspicious stuff happens and all of a sudden new people have moved there. It isn't rocket science. Obviously she wouldn't know which one it was, but I felt like she didn't think it would be any of them for a while at least.

Overall I give this book 4/5 stars. It was definitely entertaining and different to other books. The only things I didn't like was the overall Twilightiness in the beginning at least and the daftness of the characters at times. I think this book is big competition for Stephenie Meyer's.
The next book in the series is Crescendo.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

1 comment:

Hezzi-D said...

I've read all three books in this series and while there are parts that are a little bit cheesy, I'm with you and really ended up enjoying them.