Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: Illusions by Aprilynne Pike

DETAILS:
Pages: 384
Publisher: Haper Collins, Harper Teen
Genre:Young Adult, Fantasy
I bought this one online.

THE BLURB:
I don't do patrols, I don't go hunting, I just stick close to you. You live your life. I'll keep you safe," Tamani said, sweeping a lock of hair from her face. "Or die trying."
Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.
But just as life returns to normal, Laurel realizes that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.

THE REVIEW:
The third book in the "Wings" or "Laurel" series started off really well and was much more interesting than the first two. However, this book felt unfinished at the ending leaving me disappointed in the novel, ripped off for buying  it, yet interested in the next novel to find out what will happen.

The cover, like "Wings" or "spells" was beautiful and eye catching. It was the one thing when I first saw the book that helped me identify it with the series.

There wasn't much more development in terms of characters, but there were some new interesting situations for the characters to react in and I found this helped to merge the two "worlds" together and make it feel more real. Tamani becomes more involved in Laurel's life so he has to meet her friends and parents.

Along with the arrival of a new character and an old there were plenty of interesting things for me to focus on and keep up with. You're constantly asking yourself "who is that person really?" and trying to get to the bottom of things.

One of the things that annoyed me was that there didn't seem to be much excitement in terms of what was happening in the novel. If the text started to get boring and I started skimming over bits and pieces I would find myself having to go back and find out what happened because there wasn't really any introduction or build up to major things.

Also, the ending was pretty pathetic. It basically revealed what you wanted to know right at the end, but didn't really finish. It kind of felt like I was reading the climax of the story when it finished and I thought for a moment that I was missing a chapter out of my novel where the resolution was supposed to be. I guess that will make for a good excitement builder for the next and possibly last novel.

Overall, "Illusions" is what it looks like: A quick entertaining read, with beautiful descriptions, plenty of excitement and relationship drama. Pity about the ending though... I give this novel 3.5Stars. Hopefully the next one will be just as awesome except with a better ending. It is definitely worth a read, but don't be expecting to get to many answers in this novel.



 THE SERIES:
1.Wings
2.Spells
3.Illusions
4. -----

Sorry for the choppy review.
Natalie

No comments: