Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: an Overview



This year I have read some great books. Many of them have been out for a few years, so this post will include the best that I have read this year, rather than the best books published this year. It may be a little vain I know, but I honestly can't be bothered trying to keep track of which book for which year. I also can't be bothered to try and stick to a number of top books so instead I will try and categorise the books I liked the most. This year I read 72 books, let's see which ones ranked as most important.

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PROSE:

This definitely goes to Alice Hoffman's 'The Red Garden' (Click Here For Review) . I am normally not much of a stickler for short stories. I could never write them and I find some of them a bit boring and hard to understand. After this book though I have become increasingly interested in reading the short story format. This book was like fairytales for grownups.

FAVOURITE YA AUTHOR OF THE YEAR:

Definitely Richelle Mead. I had read 'Sucubus Blues' by her, but had never touched the Vampire Academy Series until this year. I have still only read the first two books in the series as well as 'Bloodlines', but feel I can confidently say that she is amazing. She definitely brings a whole new meaning to the word vampire. Click on title of book to see review: Vampire Academy, Frostbite and Bloodlines.

FAVOURITE ADULT AUTHOR OF THE YEAR:

Sarah Addison Allen's stories are so magical. They always have that element of magical realism and romance. Her books are so addictive that they can be read very quickly. I have read three of her books this year and I enjoyed them all equally. A Sarah Addison Allen book is one that you will want to buy not borrow because you will want to read it again... Click on book title to read review: The Sugar Queen, Garden Spells and The Girl Who Chased The Moon.

FAVOURITE CLASSIC READ OF THE YEAR:

'The Great Gatsby' may have only ranked 4.5/5 Stars, but I would happily read it again. I agree that this book oozes of fashion inspiration with all of the wonderful descriptions and that the writing was very classy. I cannot wait for the movie version to come out and to read more books by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

FAVOURITE FANTASY READ:

'The Night Circus' was amazing. I think it was a lot like the 'Harry Potter' series in the way that the book could draw you in with its imagery. It also had a wonderful romance and was set in the most amazing setting. This was one circus I would definitely visit. Another book making it's way to the movies. Click here to read my review.

FAVOURITE NEW WORLD:

The underworld/ Land of the dead in 'Graveminder' by Melissa Marr was amazing. This is one book that I hope becomes a series because the land of the dead was super intriguing. I also thought it was pretty awesome that one of the characters had a door to the land of the dead in his basement. How awesome is that? Click Here to read my review of 'Graveminder'.

FAVOURITE HISTORICAL FICTION:

'The Dressmaker' by Posie Graeme Evans was a splendid story about a dressmaker in the Victorian era. Also a book with a beautiful atmosphere and romance. The book talked a lot about clothes too which of course I enjoyed, but I can imagine some people might get annoyed by. Not much in the book about history though. Click here for my review.

FAVOURITE YA ROMANCE:

'Amy and Roger's Epic Detour' by Morgan Matson was super cute. Like a chick flick in writing... Click Here to read my Review.



OTHER BOOKS WORTH MENTIONING:

-'Imaginary Girls' by Nova Ren Suma, YA Fiction, Review

-'Hunting Lila' by Sarah Alderson, YA Fiction, Review

-'Fallen Angels' by Tara Hyland, Adult Fiction, Review

-'The Hand That First Held Mine' by Maggie O'Farrel, Adult Fiction, Review

-'The Language of Flowers' by Vannessa Diffenbaugh, Adult Fiction, Review

What were your favourtie books of 2011?
Please feel free to leave a comment.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natale

1 comment:

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

Half Blood and Touch were some of my favorite books of 2011! I really should check out Night Circus :)


Krazyyme @ Young Readers