Friday, January 13, 2012

Review: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy 6)


THE DETAILS:
Pages: 584
Genre: Teenage Fiction, Fantasy
Published: 07/12/2010
Bought book Online

THE BLURB:
Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules. She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir's Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardians to come.
Now the law has finally caught up with Rose--for a crime she didn't even commit. She's in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She'll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.
But the clock on Rose's life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back . . . and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your whole life is about saving others, who will save you?
Join Rose, Dimitri, Adrian, and Lissa in LAST SACRIFICE, the epic, unforgettable finale to Richelle Mead's international #1 bestselling VAMPIRE ACADEMY series.


THE REVIEW:
'Last Sacrifice' is the final book in Richelle Mead's 'Vampire Academy series'. A fantastic series and a great way  to end it. I might have even been content for the story to end there and then but - knowing me always wanting more - I'm glad that she decided to go ahead with her spin-off series. To those people out there that weren't happy with the endings of other books this book will make it all worth it.

Some bits were a little bit more predictable than the other books. Endings tend to be happy so if you imagine what it would take for Rose to be happy you might have a vague idea of some things that are going to happen in this book... However, there were also some very way-out things that occurred too, so this book definitely still had plenty of shock-value.

'Last Sacrifice' is also a little bit mushier than the other books. There is a lot of thought and talk about relationships and soul mates compared to the other books in the series. But, like I said before with the element of surprise Mead's work doesn't completely change and there is still plenty of kick-but action.

One of the things I'm sad about is that this is the end of the series. I won't be saying goodbye to those characters just yet I'm sure, but I will be saying goodbye to Rose's narrating. One of the things I really like about Rose is that she is brave and has plenty of attitude. She is everything I wish I had the guts to be. I think by reading things from her point of view has inspired me to be more outgoing and to say what I think more often.

One of the interesting things about this series was that even though I had read 'Bloodlines' first it wasn't completely spoiled for me. I knew how  things were in the end, but I didn't know how they got to be that way and often I didn't realise that something was spoiled until I read about it. There were also a few unspoiled things in there too. In 'Last Sacrifice' some of the remarks made me laugh because of the way things turned out in 'Bloodlines'. (example below, highlight to read- may contain spoilers about 'Bloodlines')

Adrian makes a comment about how uptight Sydney is and says that that must be how alchemists like their women. I laughed at this because I thought Adrian seemed pretty keen on Sydney by the end of Bloodlines.

I know my reviews about this series may seem a little vague because they don't tend to talk too much about the actual characters, but rather the amount of shock-value, the quality of the writing etc. The reason I have been writing my reviews like this is that I don't want to spoil much about the books and I've always been a bit paranoid about that.

Overall, I loved it. Again, another great book by Richelle Mead. I can't wait to get my hands on the next installment of 'Bloodlines'! I rate this book 5/5 stars and a favourite. I think this series is great because there are so many different things people can take from it. Some people might read it because of the action, while others might read it because of the romance. etc. There is something inside for everyone!
THE SERIES:

Vampire Academy Series:
6. Last Sacrifice (This Review)


Bloodlines- Spin off series:

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

1 comment:

nikki said...

Ah, I loved this series! Great review. I agree, def a bit mushier than the others. But I did enjoy how all of the threads met at a common ending. Everyone and everything had a purpose in this series.

~Nikki @ Imaginative Adventure.