Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy3)


THE DETAILS:
Pages: 443
Genre: Teenage Fiction, Fantasy
Published by: Puffin 04/02/2010
Originally Released by Razorbill 13/11/2008
Bought Online

THE BLURB:
Rose Hathaway knows it is forbidden to love another guardian. Her best friend, Lissa-the last Dragomir princess-must always come first. Unfortunately, when it comes to gorgeous Dimitri Belikov, some rules are meant to be broken...

But since making her first Strigoi kills, Rose hasn't been feeling right. Something dark has begun to grow in her mind, and ghostly shadows warn of a terrible evil drawing nearer to the Academy's iron gates. And now that Lissa and Rose's sworn enemy, Victor Dashkov, is on trial for his freedom, tensions in the Moroi world are higher than ever.

Lying to Lissa about Dimitri is one thing but suddenly there's way more than friendship at stake. The immortal undead are on the prowl, and they want vengeance for the lives that Rose has stolen. In a heart-stopping battle to rival her worst nightmare, Rose will have to choose between life, love, and the two people who matter most..but will her choice mean that only one can survive?


THE REVIEW:
There was a point when I never considered reviewing sequels. I mean, of course I want to read them. I want to know what happens, but once you've read one book you've read them all right? And then I thought that some books have bad quality sequels and should be reviewed to warn people. But, If a book was genuinely good and so were all of it's sequels would it be pointless in reviewing them too? I believe after reading this book that the answer is no. It is definitely not pointless. Some series get better with each book and introduce new things. Also what is wrong with a little repetition if it gets some more publicity out there for a really good author and a really good series?

'Shadow Kissed' is the third book in the 'Vampire Academy' series and my favourite so far. No doubt though, all of the first three books will now be known as favourites on my shelfari page anyway. I thought this novel had a very complex story-line, surprised me like no other novel I've ever read and was the most emotional of the novel. Talk about a literary roller coaster! I could not believe how many surprises this author had in stall for me. I was surprised that I was surprised and through all of the "OMG"s and "WTH"s there was still plenty of humour in the novel to make me giggle out loud while other people in the room looked at me like I had mental issues...

So yes it was emotional. I think I managed to feel nearly every emotion possible while reading this book, but it didn't seem over the top. It was just that Rose has  a crazy life. Also because different characters have mental issues relating to the use of their powers and  the conflicting relationships in the story it isn't just Rose who shows her emotion.

All the characters seem to be growing emotionally and more is revealed about them to the readers. I appreciate that the author had made sure of this with the series. The relationships between characters grow more too. At the start of the book I was a little annoyed with the slowness of some of the relationships. I was like "But, it's been two whole books now and nothings happened", but that thought soon left my mind.

Overall I thought this book was amazing. This series would have to be one of the smartest YA series I have read so far. I can't wait to read the next book. So much so that I might have to Forgo my plans to read "The unbecoming of Mara Dyer" to read 'Blood Promise'. What can I say? It looks like Mead has cast a spell over me. I recommend this book to everyone, but you should probably start at the beginning of the series...
Vampire Academy Series:

3.Shadow kiss (This Review)

Bloodlines- Spin off series:

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: