Saturday, January 19, 2013

Forever Charmed (Part 1: Introductions)


If you've been following my blog's Facebook page or have been reading any recent hauls or updates you might know that I've been watching quite a bit of 'Charmed' in the past months. Even though I haven't bothered to do this with any other TV shows, I thought I might write some posts about this one. I was just going to write one big post reviewing and recommending the series, but it got too long, so I've decided to do the post in pieces. I will try and keep it as spoiler free as possible, but I know of some things that will most likely be spoiled for you (by some other source) anyway, so I find no harm in spoiling those particular spoilers here

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
The first season of 'Charmed' aired in 1998, at the time I was in preschool and had no idea that 'Charmed' existed. As the seasons of 'Charmed' continued the show gained popularity and I found out about it. I was in grade four at school and I thought it looked like a cool show. I watched one whole episode on the upstairs TV at my Grandad's house when we were staying there. In high school I had had a friend who was very obsessed with the show and by then I had decided that I thought it was stupid (at the time I was more interested in books and shows about "reality"). Last year I came across a few seasons at one of the cheap shops and considered giving it a go. I had been reading fantasy novels and watching fantasy shows for a while now and maybe I'd actually like 'Charmed'. The shop didn't have the first season, so I ended up purchasing it online and I devoured it pretty quickly after it arrived.

WHAT ABOUT IT?:
The show ran for 8 seasons. It's about the three Halliwell sisters Piper, Phoebe and Prue who find out that they are witches and that it's their job to protect innocents from supernatural evils. The power of three makes them the famous (within the magical community) "Charmed Ones", which means that they can defeat some really powerful demons if they need to. They inherited their powers from their ancestors and they have a book of shadows that has been passed down through generations that has heaps of information about the demons inside. The three witches live in the Halliwell Manor, a large Victorian style home with stained glass windows and a power base of its own. 

The girls also meet other magical beings, talk to dead people, go back in time and turn into weird magical creatures...

MEET THE CHARMED ONES:
Piper Halliwell: (Played by Holly Marie-Combs) is the middle sister (at the beginning of the show). She has the power to freeze time and she's probably the least confident of the sisters. She has been in the most episodes and she is by far my favourite witch. She dreams of becoming a chef and she's always the mediator when it comes to Phoebe and Prue. 

Phoebe Halliwell: (Played by Alyssa Milano) is the younger sister who takes a while to get her feet on the ground. She's a bad girl gone good and she has the power of premonition. I probably liked her the least because her voice irritated me bit, but I didn't  hate her. She probably has the most complex love life out of the sisters.

Prue Halliwell: (Played by Shannen Doherty) has the power to move things with her mind. She's the oldest sister and she's the workaholic of the family. It's no secret that Prue doesn't make it through all 8 seasons. Many gossip shows speculated that this was due to fighting that occurred on set between Shannen and Alyssa. It was also rumoured that she would not be allowed act in any future Spelling productions.

Paige Matthews: (Played by Rose McGowan) is the youngest sister. Like Prue she has the ability to move things with her mind. She also has the ability to Orb because she is half-whitelighter. Paige is a pretty fun character with an interesting fashion sense.

So, that's the end of the first post, I just wanted to introduce the show first and  tell you a bit about it (if you haven't seen it before). I really enjoyed it, and I think if you like shows like 'Vampire Diaries' you could probably enjoy 'Charmed'. More posts to come about the show!

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: