Sunday, November 18, 2012

Small Obsessions: Rounded and Pointed Sunglasses

 
Sunglasses are somewhat a necessity for me. I never used to wear them until I noticed one day that my eyes just couldn't handle the brightness of the outdoors without those UV rated protective shields anymore. That, and most of the cheaper sunglasses I was subjected to (I was never one for paying for hundred dollar pairs of shades) were uglier designs. That changed (the designs in cheaper stores) and then, so did my need to wear sunglasses.
 
The type of sunglasses I wear are of the rounded and pointed variety (see title). I think these shapes have more of a stylish retro edge to them. A good pair of sunnies doesn't need to cost the earth and can go with any outfit (or at least most of them).  When I'm wearing a nice pair I feel like a model in a Miu Miu, Chanel or Prada campaign. Classy sunglasses make me feel like one of those style bloggers that actually has the guts to take pictures of themselves in "that" outfit ( a confidence that I do not posses). And, good sunnies can make you feel as stylish as Holly Golightly...
 
Like anything else, I find it hard to have one classic item in my wardrobe that I can wear with anything. I'm not afraid of wearing the same things over and over. It's just that I like variety. I like the fact that I know where to get things at decent prices and that I manage to purchase that item in a few different colours or styles. I can't help it! I'm also very protective of my sunnies (well, except for one pair which I think may have accidentally become subjected to some nasty pink candy at one time). I have a nice sunglasses case I keep them in (It took me awhile to find a nice case, that was large enough, that didn't cost the earth) and I often use a cleaning cloth to wipe away any smudges or dust. Quick dry lens wipes are my best friend in extremely dusty situations.
 
^ These are the four pairs of sunglasses that I own. I apologise for the pyjama bottoms and legs  that are visible in the bottom of the picture.
 
 The top pair were freebies in a magazine. They have 'Witchery' printed along the side (which I thought was a pretty cool name for a brand) and have a burgundy/black tortoiseshell pattern happening. The second pair are from Modcloth. I debated whether or not to purchase them, seeing as they are a little similar to the first pair, but I thought the circular lenses were cool and I liked the red sides. The third pair remind me of a later retro era (maybe late sixties or early seventies. And the bottom pair remind me of another Audrey picture I've seen somewhere, but don't ask me to find it.
 
Another thing about retro glasses is that they tend  to be more flattering. I have read that the Cat-eye glasses (the pointy ones) suit any face shape, whilst other styles seem to only be for smaller or larger faces in particular. One thing that I really like about retro fashion in general is the mass appeal. There is an era for everyone and a way to make it work for you.
 
Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

7 comments:

Angela said...

Great post. I think I like the top pair the best. I wonder if they're too big for regular glasses? I need a new pair.

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

I think the top pair would have to be my favourite. They are pretty big, but they don't look odd on me like most larger sunnies do (I've got a small head) and, they don't fit in a regular glasses case, but neither do any other sunnies (cept for the third pair)but, I did find a nice sunglasses case on laceaffair.com

BlueVelvet said...

Hi NatVinGirl this is Blue Velvet from your jane eyre/wuthering heights spot. I just read your take on labels in society, i.e. hipster, indie, etc. I know its not science but i think its spot on. I agree on almost all points. Ppl should be who they are in their heart without worrying about a label. But i notice its very hard for young ppl 2day. They want to be themselves but also want clique membership sometimes so it can get confusing and i think there is a lot of pressure. Life is ahead of u when ur young u want it and yourself to be all you can and want to be AND be accepted. I finally saw ur age. I knew u were young. Thats a compliment. Youth is awesome and presents so many opportunities that fade away the older u get, so you go be anything and everything u want. Carpe diem! What strikes me and blows me away is how very intelligent you seem (are). Very mature too -you are ahead of your time in thought process. When i was 19 i was looking for the next party all the time. I was told i was smart but alas i did not use it and now i have regret. Dont get me wrong. I do have a few proud accomplishments amid all the crazy searching for who kelly is (me). But now i'm on the second half of a stereotypical life span and some of those dreams seem forever gone. Ive had to look back (and look at current labels, adjectives, etc i had/have for myself and allow myself the freedom to change some of them). I know we are different i'm sure, but there is similarity. The things u write are the things i WANTED to write at 19, but could not for some reason. I think u have more courage. I love quirky things and i absolutely adore vintage anything! Sometimes i feel as if i should have been born long ago instead of this modern time. I feel out of place timewise. Oh well. You are probably wondering what in the dueces i am rattling on about. Basically i think my point is i see in u what i wish i had done, or, said, or written or anything. Stay on your track girl, i think your doing lovely. Dont let dreams go. I would have written this on your "labels" spot but it wouldnt let me for some reason. As far as the sunglasses, i have about 30 lol. Love em. A pair for every mood or outfit. I like the ones on top the best. I like pointy corners. Flattering on most girls. Well ttyl

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

yeah sunglasses are pretty rad. lol. I just bought myself another pair! Thanks for all of your compliments:) I sometimes feel the same about wishing i'd been born in another time, but then we'd have no blogs or facebook and I might be a little lost then. My parents both agree that i am more mature than most people my age. Mainly because I save my money, don't drink much alchohol and am very stubborn about being myself. such a long comment :)

BlueVelvet said...

Lol yes at only 19 you are in the minority regarding low alcohol consumption and low spending. Those are actually just the byproducts of a mature person who's somewhat ahead of his/her time. Thank God you don't have to go through all the torture and low self image resulting from crashed cars, DUI's, and having to borrow money from parents after you're supposed to be on your own. So you are saving yourself a lot of suffering, believe me. And it all goes back to that statement you made about being stubborn enough to be yourself. Thats at the heart of it, and the reason you hopefully won't have to go through a bunch of crap just to be Nat. You're pretty much already there. Its a true gift to know and understand your true self. Most ppl have to age considerably (like me lol). Cheers! P.S. I know you love books. I like a few different genres, but the past few years I'm really stuck on crime dramas, court procedurals, or suspense thrillers. I really like a couple writers named Phillip Margolin and Harlan Coben. But I don't like to get stuck in a rut. Do you like that genre or know of any other authors I could try?

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

No im not much of a crime reader sorry. I do know a blog you would maybe like though as the person who writes it reviews a bit of crime stuff. Its called 'little house of concrete bookshelves' you should be able to google that one and find it pretty easy. Its actually written by a retired primary school teacher that taught me in grade four.

BlueVelvet said...

Thank u!