Sunday, September 13, 2015

Beauty Review: Colourpop Cosmetics


After so much Youtube hype, I eventually decided to order some of the ColourPop cosmetics online. Three orders later and this is what I have accumulated. Instead of doing individual reviews I thought I would just go ahead and swatch all of them in one big review post. I have since ordered more, but I'm not sure if I will swatch those... 

ColourPop is an American cosmetic company that only sells their products online through the Colourpop store. Despite the low value of the Aussie dollar and the cost of shipping these products are quite cheap with Eye shadows and lippie stixs costing $5 each, Ultra Matte Lip (liquid lipstick) costing $6 and Cheek/Face products costing $8. I bought all of these with my own money.

^When I got the box in the mail I started opening stuff up and it looked like this. The products come in little cardboard boxes with a window to see the product inside. You also get Information cards on how to wear the products and a Thank You card with a fun little compliment on it. Not everyone gets a box (It depends on how much you order and what kind of products etc). I ordered a fair bit each time because I have to pay postage to Australia, so I tried to make it worthwhile. 


^Here is one of my Thank You cards. I tossed the others, but I decided to keep this one because Elvis lyrics.


^Face and Eye products are packaged like this. The product has a pattern through it (makes you a little hesitant to use it at first because its so pretty). The packaging is  white and "ColourPop" is written across it in silver holographic letters, which looks like a rainbow in photos. The LippieStix reminded me of Pantone/Copic marker packaging, which I thought was very neat. A lot of people dislike the screw top lids of the eye shadows and blushes, however there isn't much that the company can do about it because the mousse-like formula needs to be kept in air-tight packaging. I also find the packaging can get pretty dirty especially since the best way to apply the product is with your fingers.

The formula of the Eye and Face products is squishy to touch. Its a mousse formula that sets to a powder. It is designed to be free of fall-out and to last on the eyes. I think the formula is really cool and interesting, but there are definitely downfalls, such as:
-having to experiment with different methods of application
-learning what products from other brands do and don't work with this texture
-Whether or not you like the feel of the product
-It can dry out in the pot if you don't shut the lid
-The products expire a lot quicker than normal powder eyeshadows
-I feel like you go through product quicker (but not sure if that's just because I use some of these products almost every day)

Positives are:
- That there is literally no fall out (with one exception - read the 'Metalic Eyeshadows' review to learn more).
- Product stays in place all day
- So much more pigmented
- Touching weird squishy stuff during your morning make-up routine makes it more fun. 

The names of the shades are also a talking point. Some are cool and make total sense. Calling a purple blush 'Rain' makes sense, but there are a lot names that I don't understand the relation to. There are also some names that are a bit controversial or that you wouldn't want to say out loud. There is a lipstick that I don't own called 'heart on'. Spells one thing, sounds like something else. Also names like 'Between the Sheets' and 'Prenup' made me reconsider some shades just because I didn't like the name. I know some people dig funny names, but for me it can sometimes be a bit of a marketing fail.

EYE SHADOWS:

^From Left to Right:
Top Row (Matte) : 'Bites', 'Flux' and 'Cowboy'
Second Row (Matte) : 'Play', 'Girl Crush', 'Bill' and 'Hustle'
Third Row (Pearlised) : 'High Tide', 'Plunge' and 'Partridge'
Bottom Row (Metallic) : 'Swan', 'I Heart This', 'Flipper' and 'Sequin'

I wanted to write about the eye shadows first because I feel like these are the most talked about products. I own more of the shadows than any of the other products. Technically they are called Super Shock Eye Shadows, but I'm just calling them eye shadows. This is going to be a long post so I'm saving on unnecessary repetition where I can.

I do use a primer underneath these. My favourite primer to use is the 'Lime Crime Illuminating Eye Shadow Primer'. I find that some of the shadows can catch onto dry patches in my inner corner, so I have to be careful of that. 

Arm Swatch (Mattes) : 'Hustle', 'Bill', 'Girl Crush', 'Play', 'Cowboy', 'Flux' and 'Bites'

The mattes are my favourite eye shadows because they are so pigmented and are not chalky at all. I have never known a matte eye shadow before that actually looks white without a thick base underneath. I have used powder eyeshadows by Sleek Cosmetics and Milani over the top of these with no problems and I find that the ColourPop shadows help to make the colours of powder shadows look more pigmented the same way my NYX eye shadow pencil would. 

I find the best way to apply these is with a finger. Some Brushes do work, but it's a very quick way to use up your product. I like these colours for the lid or the outer half of the lid. If you are going to use these in the crease you need to use a brush to sheer out the product or it will go patchy. 'Hustle' is probably my least favourite eye shadow because it is tricky to blend. I think the only way I have found to wear this shadow is to use it to add warmth and dimension to the outer corner (or outer v) of a darker eye shadow look.

Arm Swatch (Metallic) : 'Sequin', 'I Heart This', 'Flipper' and 'Swan'
(Pearlised) : 'Partridge', 'Plunge' and 'High Tide'

The Metallic shadows are very "Out There". They aren't just glittery, but they are so sparkly they almost look "Wet. My photos really don't do the shadows justice. I think 'I Heart This' would suit anyone and I think 'Flipper' is super duper fun looking. I wasn't impressed with 'Sequin' because it is so much darker and redder than I thought it would be. For Some reason 'Swan' is very sheer and goes on a bit clumpy' (I think it might be a little dry). 

My tips for the metallics is to apply your crease colour first because if you apply it afterwards it can break up the glitter. Wear a good primer and beware of letting your eyelid get too powdery or the shadow won't stick and you will get FALLOUT. Also after a long day the metallic shadow can crease in the inner part of your eye-lid, so I highly recommend putting a different colour in the inner quarter/third of your eye. 

The Pearlised shadows can be a little bit on the sheer side. They are great for the inner corner or for layering over a matte ColourPop shadow. My least favourite is 'Partridge'. Don't get me wrong; I love this shadow, but I just wish the duo chrome was a bit more intense.

BLUSH/BRONZER:

Bronzers (Left to Right) : 'Bon Voyage', 'Paradise Cove'
Blush (Top Right) : Aphrodite
Blush (Bottom, Left to Right): 'Quarters', 'Pre-nup', 'Rain'

Swatches (Left to Right) : 'Bon Voyage', 'Paradise Cove', 'Aphrodite', 'Quarters', 'Pre-nup' and 'Rain'


I Really liked the two bronzers I got. 'Bon Voyage' is slightly darker than my skin tone, so I highly recommend it for pale people. I think these bronzers are definitely more of a blusher/bronzer type product and I wouldn't use it to contour or frame my face like I often do with my Bourjois powder bronzer. The formula is a bit tricky to apply so I try to limit where I place the bronzer or I find I can end up looking muddy. 'Paradise Cove' has a shimmery golden glow to it, which is perfect for lazy days because its like a blush/highlight/bronzer in one. 

I didn't like the 'Aphrodite' contour colour because it is way too red for me. I sometimes use it for deepening up another blush colour, but otherwise I don't really wear it. I regret buying this colour and do not recommend it. 'Quarters' is a fun colour that's probably better suited to darker skin-tones, but you can tone it down by applying very lightly. I really like 'Pre-nup' and think it would suit anyone. 'Rain' is something different, but I don't wear it much because it's not super flattering. 

My Experience with Blush Application:

- A lot of people out there recommend applying these in a stippling motion with a small duo-fibre stippling blush. I don't own a brush like this and wasn't about to buy one purely for the sake of applying this product, but I am intrigued so if you have any drugstore stippling brush recommendations I am all ears. 

- I tried applying this product with my fingers and I found that it tends to mix in with your other make-up, which sheers out the pigment of the blush and ruins the coverage of your foundation. For someone like me with blemishes in that area, I find that this can really enhance my blemishes and that after a while you can't even see the blush.

-I tried applying this with a damp ChiChi Blending sponge and nothing transferred.

-If I used a dry blending sponge to stipple the colour on I got really good pigmentation, so I had to be careful with colours like 'Quarters' which can look really full on. 

-Stippling the blush on makes it last longer on your skin through-out the day and doesn't mess up your make-up as much.

-The product is mousse-like and sets, however it can feel a little bit uncomfortable on your face, like some other cream blushes do. So you need to powder your face after you apply the blusher which can take some pigmentation away. If you apply powder before the blush, the blush goes on muddy.

HIGHLIGHTERS:

Top Row: 'Road-Trip' (Tie-dye Collection, Limited Edition), 'Spoon', 'Stole the Show'
Middle Row: 'Hippo', 'Monster'
Bottom Row: 'Teasecake', 'Butterfly Beach' and 'Wisp'

Swatches (Left to Right) : 'Road-Trip', 'Spoon', 'Stole the show', 'Hippo', 'Monster', 'Teasecake', 'Butterfly Beach' and 'Wisp'

I really like the highlighters however some of the shades were not what I expected. Unlike the blushes, you can apply these over powdered skin, with your finger and have no problems. I have found that some of the lighter shades are a little glittery though and that once again these are more of a cheek product than anything because they are a little too OTT to put on your cupids bow or nose like you might do with a conventional champagne coloured highlight. 

While the first three colours in the swatch look very similar in the photo, they are actually quite different in real life. I found all of these colours to be too much for every-day wear, especially 'Road-trip' which has flecks of glitter through it. I really like 'Hippo', 'Teasecake' and 'Wisp' for everyday looks as they are more subtle and can be sheered out. These colours are only noticeable when the light hits your face. 'Monster' is my absolute favourite highlight, which has a bit of a duo-chrome to it. It is a bright pink, and it looks great with bright lip colours and a neutral eye look. 

'Butterfly Beach' is too rosy and too dark for my pale sallow skin, but I love it as a blush. The shimmers don't look super crazy when you where these as a blush as the only reflect where the light hits them. I would definitely recommend the darker highlighter shades as blushes as they are easier to apply and last longer over the course of the day. 

LIP PRIMER, LIPPIE-STIXX and ULTRA MATTE LIP:

The bottom of the products. 

The lip primer is a very temperamental kind of lip product. If you use it carefully it can make the lip product last longer, but if you don't it can be kinda gross.

My Tips:
- Don't use a lip balm before this. The product is a bit drying and while I feel like I need a lip balm under it, the balm actually stops this stuff from setting and makes it go white and sticky. 

-Put this on clean lips and leave to dry down before lipstick application.

-Apply a thin layer only

-Don't use with matte lip products. It works great with 'Topanga' which is satin and some of my creamier Besame lippies. 

I would only recommend the primer if you are going to buy satin or glossy lippie-stix.

Swatches (Left to Right) : 'Chi Chi' 'Topanga', 'Tootsi', 'Pitch' and 'Wet'
Ultra Matte Lip: 'Sundae' and 'Bumble'

I am not the hugest fan of the matte finish lippie-stix with 'Chi Chi' being my least favourite (it really shows the lines in your lips). I do really like 'Tootsi' though and highly recommend it if you have always wanted to try a greige without drying your lips out too much or paying a huge price. The matte formula is creamier than a lot of matte lipsticks I own, but it doesn't last ages on the lips. 

'Topanga' is my absolute favourite and I highly recommend it. It is the perfect muted coral colour and it is great for those times when you really want to wear lipstick, but you don't want anything too bright. 'Wet' is a gun metal colour. It is really weird, but I really like it and think it would be cool with a warm toned eye shadow look or something. 

I really like the Ultra Matte Lip (Liquid Lipsticks). They have a great range of colours and they are a lot like the Lime Crime liquid lipsticks. I highly recommend applying over the top of a lip balm because they are quick drying and this gives you more "play" time to apply the product. These do come off when you eat greasy food, but honestly what doesn't. The swatches of these colours stained my hands for three days, so I don't think I will be swatching the the liquid lipsticks from my next order. 'Bumble' is amazing and 'Sundae' has a tiny bit of blue micro-shimmer which really makes it stand out on the lips. 'Sundae' looks great with the 'Monster' highlight, pink blush and minimal eye make-up. 

OVERALL:

I am really impressed with these products. They are affordable, the range of colours is amazing and the packaging is simple. I would highly recommend the eye-shadows, the highlighters, the liquid lipsticks and select shades of the other products. I think they are a really fun and cheap option to fill the gaps in your make-up collection, especially if you would like to try some more out-there colours without paying the high-end price tag. 

Please let me know if you have any questions about the products featured here or if you would be interested in seeing what I get in my next order.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

1 comment:

Witchcrafted Life said...

*Squeal!!!* Eeeeee, I've been on the edge of my seat waiting for this awesome Colour Pop review - and all the more so since placing my first order with them (which hasn't arrived yet). You always do such incredibly detailed, thorough reviews and this gem of a photo filled post was certainly no exception.

I love all of the items that you got and feel like I just got an awesome crash course on this brand's offerings. I'm extra excited for my order to arrive now and will definitely let you know my thoughts on the handful of items I purchased once they've arrived and I've tried them out.

Thank you for the terrific post!

Big hugs,
♥ Jessica