Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead (Bloodlines # 3)

THE DETAILS:
Pages: 401
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Release Date: 12/02/2013
Publisher: Razorbill, Penguin
RRP: $19.99
Received from Publisher.

THE BLURB:

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she struggles to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. 

Then she finally tracks down the elusive, enigmatic Marcus Finch – a former Alchemist who the organisation denies exists, and who lives in shadows, on the run. With Marcus's help, Sydney realises that the group she's been loyal to her whole life has been hiding the truth from her. Is it possible that her golden lily tattoo might have more power over her than she thinks?


As she struggles to come to terms with what that might mean, Sydney is compelled to use her growing magical powers to track down an evil magic user who is targeting powerful young witches. Using magic goes against everything she always thought she believed, but she realises that her only hope is to embrace her special blood – or else she might be next.
Forging her own way is harder than Sydney ever dreamed. Maybe by turning off her brain – and following her heart – she'll be able to finally figure out where she belongs.

MY REVIEW:
I was so excited when I received 'The Indigo Spell' in the mail. As much as I was enjoying my current reading book, I wanted it to be over quickly so that I could catch up on the lives of my favourite characters. As always I was very pleased with the latest installment of vampire drama and cannot wait for the next book to come out - It's probably only like a whole year away!

The most important thing for most people who read these novels is the amount of Syndrian involved. Was there any Syndrian? And, I know it sounds sappy of me to think of that aspect of the novel so highly, but it seems like Richelle Mead just keeps on putting it off. There was a bit - I will tell you that much and it was very different to anything I could have imagined, but it was still believable (as much as it can be believable in a world filled with spirit dreams and magical tattoos). For those who don't know what Syndrian means:
1. It means Sydney and Adrian and the moments they have together
2. Why are you reading this? If you don't know who they are I strongly recommend that you go read this 'Vampire Academy' Review or this 'Bloodlines' Review.

 Another thing Mead's readers have been waiting on is Sydney to finally question some of her beliefs. She did question her beliefs more than I would have thought possible. A new problem now arises as Sydney wonders if she is losing herself as well as her beliefs. It makes you wonder more about your identity/personality and how those things are affected by your values.

In nearly every review I've ever done of a novel by this author I've repeated myself by saying how I was surprised by some of the things that happened. This novel was no different. There were some things that seemed like obvious clues that Sydney didn't pick up on, but it turns out they weren't really leading anywhere anyway. And, yet there were other things that I didn't notice and at the end of the book saying to myself "What? No, I didn't think so... really?"

I think the character development really shows in 'The Indigo Spell'. There were a few situations that showed just how much maturity the characters had gained. It's nice to read a series where the reader not only learns more about the character, but witnesses the characters growth. Jill especially showed more maturity than she has previously.

Another interesting thing I've noticed about this series is the meaning of family. In these novels it isn't the biological family that is the most important, but the family that the character surrounds themselves with. I imagine it is going to be very sad if/when Sydney loses her field job. I really like the unconventional family environment in these books because I agree with it. I love my parents and my sister, but my mother has friends that are more like family to me than some of my biological aunties are.

There are so many messages hidden in 'The Indigo Spell'. As well as the usual vampire politics and racial or political messages that are part of any of Mead's vampire books 'The Indigo Spell' was about learning to save yourself, learning to speak your mind, and learning that expectations don't always match up to reality. I felt like these messages were shown differently to how they usually would.

Overall, 5/5 stars and a favourite. I can't wait to see what happens next. If you haven't already read these I strongly recommend the 'Vampire Academy' series and the 'Bloodlines' series.


Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: