Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vampire Diaries 4: Dark Reunion by L.J. Smith (Review)

Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)

THE DETAILS:
Pages: 274
Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy
Release Date: 01/10/2010
Publisher: Harper Collins
Originally Published: 1991
Received from publisher.

THE BLURB:
The Final Conflict... The Last Deadly Kiss

Elena: Now she rises from the dead to recreate the powerful vampire trio.

Stefan: Summoned by Elena, he keeps a promise to her and fights the most terrifying evil he's ever faced.

Damon: Joining the brother he once called enemy, Damon battles this new horror with strength, cunning, and deadly charm.


THE REVIEW:
I was stuck in a bit of a reading rut recently because of my eyesight. I was reading 'Tender is the Night' by F.Scott Fitzgerald and gave up on it due to the small print and the style of the font. So I read an anthology called 'Faery Tales and Nightmares' by Melissa Marr. I then decided to start this book... That was at least a week a go. Thanks to the arrival of my glasses I was able to finally finish reading 'Dark Reunion'. My thoughts are mixed and once again I'm questioning whether the time I took to read it or my eyesight hindered my opinion of the book in anyway...

If you have read my reviews for the previous books in the series, you will know that I regard the books and the TV series as (nearly)separate entities. I have enjoyed the last three books tremendously, but wouldn't call myself a huge fan or say that I prefer the books to the show. I find no reason to go into a deep analysis of these facts here and now, so If you would like to the reviews are listed amongst the other book reviews in my 'YA Book Reviews' Archive on the left.

This book didn't have much of Elena or Damon in it. My two favourite characters. I found it a little difficult to get used to the likes of Bonnie, Matt and Stefan taking over the story for once. I also thought that Meredith's character seemed a little 2D.

I also found this book a bit boring in comparison to the others. I found myself wanting to sleep rather than read, numerous times while reading the book. Who wants to read about Mr "Prince Charming" get all sad about how everything is his fault even though saving the day was an impossible task for even he to accomplish. Boring. That and of course the incredibly mushy scene between Stefan and Elena, which I was starting to think only existed on the TV show.

Long story short. I was getting quite sick of the book. I don't know whether it's because I had been part way through it and taken a break that I couldn't really enjoy it or what the go was. All I know is that I was considering giving 'Dark Reunion' a rating of 2.5/5 Stars or 3/5 Stars by the time I had read most of the book. I didn't exactly hate it, I just couldn't quite get interested.

This however changed. The last three chapters of the book were surprising, exciting and interesting enough for me to raise the rating to 4/5 Stars. It is at this point that L.J. Smith's expert writing returns to it's former glory and we get to see more of those characters I mentioned earlier. The ending as usual is a little on the vague side as to what actually happens, but in life the details are usually vague.

Overall 4/5 Stars. I really think the ending saved this one. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: