Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Ten Thoughts about the New Year

*

Hello Everyone,

For once I am doing what I said I was going to do; I am writing a post before the new year. I've been seeing a lot of cool outfit ideas and funny memes relating to New Years Eve and it has inspired me to write something a little different this year. I've decided to postpone my goals/resolutions post till the beginning of January and write this post instead.

Like everyone else out there, I am looking forward to the new year. I want to party. I want to  continue to make achievements. I want to have fun and I want to let go of all the bad stuff. I love the magic of Christmas and New Year. However, some of the posts I've been seeing on social media have really got me thinking. Maybe we put a little bit too much emphasis on the New Year. Below I've expanded on ten thoughts of mine on the subject.

*

1. WAS 2016 REALLY THAT BAD?
I know some people had a terrible time, but everyone seems to have jumped on the "2016 was the worst year" band wagon. It seems wrong to write off the whole year. There were some things that I didn't love about 2016, but I wouldn't say it was the worst year of my life. The things that happened (both good and bad) have changed me as a person. I would like to think that I've grown as a person and these are changes that I wouldn't want to take away. So nope, I don't want to forget that 2016 happened.

2. ACCEPT THE PAST, FOCUS ON THE FUTURE
To me the New Year is a chance to reflect. You get to look back at everything that has happened in the past 12 months. It gives me a chance to think about how far I have come and if there are any changes I would like to make. Am I happy with the path that I am on? That kind of thing. It is a chance to remember the amazing things that happened and to move on from the bad.

3. A NEW YEAR IS NOT A CLEAN SLATE
However, a New Year isn't magic. You don't get to forget "the worst year". You can't erase the bad stuff that happened. It doesn't work like that. The things that you don't like about your life right now, are probably still going to be there next year.

4. ROMANTICIZING 2017
At the end of 2014 I said 2015 will be my year. It wasn't. Then everyone was saying 2016 would be great... If you have high expectations, then things will always work out worse than what you hoped. I am looking forward to 2017, but I'm not expecting everything to go perfect. If I look back on my life in terms of years, then I would say good and bad things happened in each one.

*

5. PEOPLE AND THEIR RESOLUTIONS
There are a lot of people saying they won't do resolutions this year because they can't stick to them. If you really want to achieve something you won't get there by giving up before you start. If you are happy with your life the way it is, or if the things that you would like to change are really out of your control then I totally get not wanting to make resolutions. It is ultimately your choice. I also don't see why it has got to be New Years. For me, it's a great time to set goals, because I am on holidays and I have got a lot of time to think about it. If you decide to make a change later in the year there is no reason why you can't set new goals then...

6. MAKING UNREALISTIC GOALS
One of the reasons people don't reach their goals is because they either don't make realistic goals or they don't have a plan. For a couple of years I have had some similar goals, but I have never met them because I never really defined the goal for myself. This year I feel like I progressed with those goals a bit because I broke them down into smaller chunks. For example: If you want to get "Fit". How "Fit" do you want to get? Do you want to train to run marathons, or do you just want to do a bit more regular exercise? What kind of exercise do you want to do? etc.

7. HAVING A RESPONSIBLE NEW YEARS EVE
I am looking forward to making plans for New Years Eve. This is something that is pretty new to me. I have that little responsible voice in the back of my head saying that I wouldn't like to start the New Year off on a bad note because I was irresponsible. So if you are going out please follow the advice of caring friends and/or relatives. Don't get too messed up. Don't leave your drink unattended. Watch out for your mates. Don't let one crazy night define your life.

8. YOU DON'T NEED TO KISS SOME RANDOM AT MIDNIGHT
If you want to, then go ahead. However, you don't have to. It is not necessary. There is no troll at the gates of 2017 that will stop you from entering because you didn't lock lips with a stranger on the last night of 2016.

9. NEW YEARS ANXIETY
I know that going to a party or thinking about making changes to your life can trigger anxious feelings. It can be stressful to go to a busy party. It can be claustrophobic. It can be scary to set goals that are difficult to achieve. Please be supportive of people in your life that are feeling this way. Don't push them to do things. If you are reading this and you are feeling this way, remember that you are in control. You can back out of plans if you feel you can't go. You can leave a rowdy party if it gets too much. You can make smaller goals if you need to. You don't have to make any goals if you don't want to. Take a deep breath and think about it. You've got time.

10. MAYBE SOCIAL MEDIA INFLUENCES US TOO MUCH
The New Year is just another example of how social media can influence our views on something. At the end of the day, the way that I feel should be influenced by my experiences, not some random on the Internet who made a meme. It is just another new year. Just a bit of fun.

*

So there it is. Those are my thoughts on the New Year so far. Do you have any exciting plans for New Years Eve? or are you setting any exciting goals?

If you want to see the original image sources, please click on the star underneath the image.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: