Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pretty Picture Post: 1950's Evening Wear

Hi Everyone,
Here is yet another picture post. Variety is quickly disappearing from my blog, but hopefully as the warmer weather returns I will feel more inspired to write some of these posts I have planned. I have a few Fairytale Style Crush posts, Non-fiction book reviews, Playlist posts and beauty reviews in the works. Please (as normal) feel free to let me know if there is anything you would like to see, because I would honestly be more excited to write something if I know you are interested. 

Most of these images are from Pinterest (again click on the asterisk to view the image source if you would like to see it) and are of early 1950's evening wear styles. Some of these dresses are very elaborate and expensive looking while other outfits are made up of a few simple, yet elegant pieces which would be much easier to attempt to recreate. It is almost surprising to me how popular strapless styles were during this era. I think this style looks stunning, but I've never been game to try it. Partially because I have a small bust, but also because buying decent strapless undergarments in small sizes (unless you want a huge wad of fake padding or tell-tale t-shirt bra triangles poking out) can be quite a challenge.

I adore the make-up and hair from the early fifties and  I also quite like the hats. I think the style of this era is perfect for make-up addicts like me, because even though you don't have to - you can really go to town copying some of the Vintage Vogue looks. I also love the mixture of obviously posed pictures and some of the more "in the moment" style photos.

I think this mixture of  images is nice and whimsical. I like the idea of getting really dressed-up and going out. Taking pictures outside in the twilight. Enjoying a nice warm meal. A glass of sparkling wine. Dancing to decent record or a live band.This is probably part of the reason why I feel overdressed a lot of the time. I live for a reason to plan a formal outfit. I wore a tulle skirt to my 18th Birthday dinner at the Pizza place a few years ago...

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

If you like what you see here and want to continue to see more of my posts please follow me via Google Friend Connect or Like the Facebook Page



Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

1 comment:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Flat out stunning fashions!!! I kept scrolling through these images and saying to myself "that's my favourite! No, wait, that's my favourite! No, hold on, I like that one even more!" :) Ultimately, if I had to pick my very favourite, I think it would be the brown and white strapless evening gown worn with a coordinating brown fur. That's breathtaking enough to be a wedding ensemble, if you ask me.

♥ Jessica