Sunday, June 1, 2014

Haul/Update: Nail Stamping Goodness and Sewing Misadventures

Hi Guys, 
I have kind of diminished my blog posting schedule to just one post a week, which is really sad. I would love to be able to say that I have achieved something great with all the spare time I have but it's just not true. I do however have a few more ideas for some musings posts so that should be fun. This past couple of weeks I spent a bit of money on things that I don't really need, but did really want (well some of it anyways!) and I tried to include all of it in this post, but I think some stuff is missing. It's a little hard to keep track of some of my purchases, but I am sure some of things will pop up in a post somewhere along the lines. I was also wondering: how would you feel about a beauty favourites post?

This weekend I didn't do anything major. I don't usually have crazy exciting weekends, and this was another typical weekend doing a little bit of shopping, experimenting with makeup, watching movies on DVD, getting a haircut, painting my nails and listening to some tunes. I am still reading 'One for the Money' by Janet Evanovich and it is quite good so far, but I am just being slack. 

Above is a picture of the books I got. The top two are non-fiction books I got from Modcloth. I had been wanting 'Art Deco Hair' for a while. It's filled with pictures of 1920s and 1930s photographs and hairstyling diagrams. I don't know much about the diagrams, but I do love to look at the pictures for both art references and beauty inspiration. The two fiction books were on sale at the $2 shop. 
^I got this guitar pedal from the Artist guitars site. I love the sound you get from it! It was pretty decently priced too.


^I also got a Cry Baby pedal off of eBay. It makes a "Wah Wah" sound. I do really like it, but I am not 100% confident playing with it.




^I got some Mrs Depew patterns off of Etsy because I had this grand idea that I could do some sewing. I am not much of a seamstress. I can sew on buttons, I have made new things out of old garments before, And, I know how to use a sewing machine. Last weekend I was writing my picture post and looking at 1930s images on pinterest when I saw a lovely sewing pattern. I remembered how much I like the fashion illustrations on patterns and I started looking at more.... Anyway, long story short, I ended up deciding I wanted to make some 1910-1930s style teddies in day-time fabric and wear them as jumpsuits. I like that they have no waist and I thought they looked like they wouldn't be that hard to make.

I also thought If I was any good at it I might make my sister some tap pants, because she wears flared culottes that are very similar.

The thing was though, that apparently you cannot buy actual teddies patterns (of the same shape) online unless you get pdf. Mrs Depews site does state that the patterns are recommended for people who are more experienced sewer, so I did expect to have some trouble. After paying my money and downloading I realised the best I could hope for was that someone I knew could actually draft patterns and make me something similar. Or, that I would be able to find an actual paper pattern somewhere and attempt it myself. Lesson learned: PDF patterns are not inexperienced sewers!

^Above is a picture of a second hand coat I bought off a Facebook Buy/Swap site and a scarf I bought of Modcloth.

^I got two bracelets at the markets today and a turn-table necklace from Modcloth.
^Here is my Damsel and Dames order. 

^I got some new foundations to try and some new stampers from Moyou. I have heaps of foundation already, but since my skin has gotten so bad I wanted ones with more coverage and some acne-fighting ingredients. I have stopped wearing foundation often so that my skin clears up, but I thought it might be smart to get some better ones, so that I don't have to worry about it making my skin worse. I got Almay Clear Complexion foundation and Revlon Colourstay for Oily/Combination skin both from Fashion Addict Australia.

^Yeah I know what you are thinking. More Nail polish?! The ones laying down, were freebies that my sister gave me. The ones standing up are Sally Hansen Insta-dri and they are good for stamping. Most normal nail polishes won't show up on a stamper.

^I went kind of Crazy on the Moyou Site. This is how I store my stamping plates. I got the container off of eBay a while ago. My Chocolate Vanity Plates won't fit though, so I am keeping them in another spot.

^I got some 1920s and 1950s outfit style stamping plates. This means I can put suits on my nails. I have quite a variety of suits and dresses I can use too :)
The  mother nature ones are mostly just picture ones with things like leaves, flowers, birds and butterflies. 

^I got quite a few princess plates. I am really pleased with how small these ones are. Great for smaller nails and pinky fingers. These ones are super cute pictures of cakes, tiaras, animals and kids toys.

^I got some Festive plates for Easter and Christmas designs. as well as a fairytale picture plate and a 1980s plate.

^I got a Kitty plate, A tourist plate in 'Istanbul', a Sailor Plate, A Hipster plate (not into the hipster thing, but i wanted the camera pics really bad), Some pretty lace designs (I don't care if it's meant for brides) and a Scholar plate. The Scholar plate is a little disappointing, because I love the designs, but they are all really big. Special request for Moyou: Please make smaller designs for the bookish. 

^Here is my manicure from the week before last. I used my mermaid plate for the pattern in white and my 1920s plate for the flappers, record player and art deco pattern. The stamping colour was supposed to be brown, but it turned out kind of plum.

^Here is my manicure for the past week. I used a mother nature stamping design over a chromatic nail polish.

I would also like to add a little shout-out to all my new facebook followers. Thanks for helping my page to get to 1000 likes!

So how was your week? Did you get anything exciting in the mail?

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

3 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Wow, those stamping plates are stunning!!! I don't own any (from any brand) myself, but gosh, are those tempting me now. Birthday wishlist entry here we come!!! Thank you for the lovely introduction to them and for showing us some in action on your beautiful nails.

♥ Jessica

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Glad you liked my nail art :) I think Moyou are pretty decent and fairly reasonably priced. I definitely recommend giving them a go if you want something different :)

Kashaya said...

Nice manicures and those books looks interesting.