Monday, May 12, 2014

My First Pin-up Competition


Hi Everyone,
As promised here is my post regarding the pin-up competition I entered. I was going to do a haul as well, but I think I will wait another week or so to do that. As you may have noticed on this blog previously I am not much of a selfie taker. I take a lot of pics of my eye make-up or nails usually and that's about it. On the night of the pin-up comp I couldn't even manage the eye make-up picture! I did get mum to take a pic of me however she used her phone and we didn't really have anywhere nice to take it. Hence the edited pixelated photo. Sorry I didn't take more photos.

As I mentioned previously while I do love to dress in vintage style clothes I am not sure I am really a "pin-up" girl. I think I'm more into the Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly and general 1950s fashion model look. The pin-up comp was definitely fun and I might do it again, but I'm not entirely sure that the bright colours and petticoats are my thing. The lady organizing it did tell me that it was "my interpretation" and that I could do what I wanted which is why I stayed true to my own style.

I think this pin-up thing actually made me miss dance class a little bit. Not just because we had a dinner dance, but getting up in front of people and breaking out of my shell a bit was kind of exhilarating. It's been a little while since I had to actually get up in front of people to do something like that. I know a lot of people reading this (especially the ones that know me personally) are probably a bit surprised by that statement because I am so shy. Believe it or not, sometimes I think it's easier for me to get up in front of a bunch of people and make a fool of my self than it is for me to talk to them up close... The same way that I can write things online for the world to see I guess...

And, yes, I am wearing a turban :) 


^I used these gloves for the pin-up comp. They are vintage ones of eBay and they were a teensy bit small, hence me not wearing them all night long. I wore these cute little studs and a brooch that were both gifts from Mum on separate occasions. I wore Besame lipstick in Dusty Rose and I had this clutch from my year 12 graduation. I was originally planning to use a vintage beaded bag, but my phone didn't fit and I wanted to take my phone in case I needed it. 

 ^Here is the MoYou London plate I used to stamp my nails with and absolutely loved it. Too many stamps to choose from when I only have ten fingernails. The only criticisms I have is that they need a few small ones for pinky fingers and that they are quite close together so you have to make sure you don't accidentally get polish on a different stamp that you want to use in case the polish dries up and you have to clean the plate to use it (which you don't want to be doing with fresh polish on your hands).

^I went shopping for pink polishes because I wasn't sure about the ones I already owned. I wanted a lighter pink than I owned and I wanted it to be a bit more muted and to suit both the light pink of the tulle skirt and the darker pink of the turban. I ended up going with the one on the right which is a Sinful Colours polish in the shade 'Starfish'.

^As you can see I went with multiple stamps rather than making all of my nails uniform. I especially love the jukebox and the milkshake which I have nail art plans for in the future :)

^And the other hand. In hindsight I think it would have been better if the glasses were facing the other way. 

^There was a table decorating contest and this is what our table looked like. It looked really cute until everyone else started decorating theirs. There was a neon sign on the winning table! This was a dinner dance and it definitely was fun to dance to and listen to the band play some very catchy tunes. One of my favourites being 'Blue Bayou' by Roy Orbison.

^Here was my participation prize. No I didn't place in the competition, but I wasn't really expecting it either. There were twelve girls in total and they were all stunning. One of them had a dress that looked very similar to Marilyn Monroe's dress in 'How to Marry a Millionaire' and you could tell that some of these girls had been in pin-up pageants before. I didn't get any pictures of these lovely ladies to post on the blog because it was a small town comp and I am not entirely sure they would all like to have their pictures posted on the World Wide Web. 

^And here is a pic of me at the car show the next day trying to channel some "Pink Ladies" glamour. I just adore the colour of that car!

So there you have it! My first pin-up experience. 

Have you ever seen or entered a pin-up comp before?

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

2 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

You look smashing, dear gal!!! Pissshhhhh, those judges must all be bonkers to have not even placed you! I think you look fantastic (and very cute, too boot), and hope that you still had a marvelous time regardless of not winning or placing. There's always, as they say, next time, if you're so inclined.

We don't have anything around these parts (I'd be the judge and sole participant both, if we did) like this, but I think I'd must the courage to take part if we did.

♥ Jessica

*PS* Sometimes, depending on the fabric, you can stretch gloves a little by washing them in cold water and then gentle tugging on the fingers and wrists at the same time (like a Christmas cracker), then letting them air dry draped over something narrow (like the back of a wooden chair) with cloth pegs on each finger and on the wrist to help stretch them further. I wouldn't recommend this for delicate fabrics, but for sturdy ones that are in good shape it can help somewhat.

Natalie_vintage_girl said...

Thanks for the kind words and the tips! One of the hairdressers in our town is always entering pin-up comps in other places so she actually decided to start one and I was really surprised at how many people entered. There were a few girls from neighbouring towns and a lot of derby girls and crafty ladies who entered.