Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Get A Hobby


Recently an online friend announced that she wanted to try out a new hobby and that she was debating between two options. I'm guessing I probably seemed like the ideal person to ask because I had similar hobbies. I didn't end up helping my friend to decide, but she has inspired me to write a bit of a guide for people who are interested in trying new hobbies.

I've always had a lot of hobbies and I've always felt like the world would be a happier place if people spent a little bit of time every now and then doing the things that they love. I think that hobbies can keep young people from getting into trouble (In the movies it always works) and that people who always need a cause to serve may actually just be in need of a hobby. Hobbies do not need to be restricting, difficult or costly and I will include a list of guidelines about how to ensure that hobbies don't become any of those things.


^These are some of my favourite things to do. There's reading, drawing, singing/playing guitar, crochet, dancing and blogging.

LEVELS OF ACHIEVEMENT:
I think the one thing that scares most people more than anything about starting something new is the possibility that they won't be very good at it. I feel like people are becoming more and more critical of each other and themselves, And, that because of this they are less likely to try new things. The thing with hobbies is that depending on what the hobby is and how you choose to proceed with it, you can choose how quickly you learn/ the level of difficulty.

You think I'm fabulous at all of those hobbies? Nope. I just enjoy them. I've never read more than 72 books in one year, I only really know about ten chords on the guitar, I mainly crochet squares/towel toppers, I am not a very flexible dancer and I still read old blog posts that have scary typos in them. I think I'm the best at art  (out of all of my hobbies) and while I'm still critical of my artworks I know that I have made achievements with it.

RESTRICTIONS:
Hobbies can become restricting in regards to life and the way you choose to progress with your hobby can restrict you from exploring different aspects of it. I know a lot of people don't have hobbies (or have many hobbies) because the netball schedule or scrap-booking class interferes with work/family commitments. I think it all comes down to how you choose to do your hobby ( Is "Do" even the right word? ).

 If you choose to take a DIY approach you can escape most restrictions, but depending on the hobby and your experience in the Field not having a mentor may not be practical. You can learn a lot from books and the Internet in regards to more crafty hobbies while active hobbies probably require some sort of trainer because of safety etc. Mentors can tend to push you towards a certain ideal which can either open you up to new options or close you off to others.

EXPENSES:
I think another thing that scares a lot of people away from pursuing a hobby is the high cost of participating. Costs could include the cost of a trainer, membership fees, materials, equipment etc. If you take a DIY approach and shop around for materials or equipment you can save a lot of money. Some hobbies require one or two payments for the lifetime of the hobby while other hobbies require a constant string of payments as you go.

Knitting for example requires the cost of knitting needles (I think you can get a pack from a $2 for cheap), scissors and possible a knitting book if you don't have someone to show you how. These costs are all usually a once off, but as you continue to knit you will need to continue to purchase wool and patterns.

Playing an instrument will cost differently depending on the type of instrument. A guitar for example will probably cost more than  knitting needles and I would advise that you get some pics and a battery operated tuner as well, but those are really the only costs as most tabs and chords are free online.

Some of the cheapest hobbies are reading (all you need is a library card), playing the harmonica (you can buy a pretty decent one for less than ten Australian dollars and drawing (with lead pencil).

TIPS:

  1. You don't have to be perfect at chosen hobby. Enjoyment should be compulsory.
  2. Don't push yourself to reach unrealistic goals.
  3. If you have limited spare time or think you may have difficulty meeting a schedule you might want to take a DIY approach.
  4. Consider the cost of the hobby if you have limited funds.
  5. If you aren't really sure about what you want to do search the Internet or have a look in your newspaper for upcoming classes.
  6. If your hobby is going to be expensive you may want to have a trial run before investing. 
  7. Have Fun!
Hope you enjoyed my post and that it gave you a few ideas.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

1 comment:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Wise words indeed, my dear lady. I too have been an avid hobbyist throughout myself, and have faced each of these (perceived) hurdles at least a time or two. I love that you included that last point. It's so true - you don't have to be perfect, or anywhere near it, to derive a great amount of joy and fulfillment out of your hobbies. I've been preaching this to DH (who tends to be too hard on himself in that regard) for years, while also having to remind myself of periodically as well.

♥ Jessica