Monday, April 15, 2013

If We're Gonna Talk About Music: Garbage


I always seemed to like songs by Garbage when I was younger. Most of the time I didn't know who the band was or that these songs were by the same band. It wasn't until I saw an advertisement for their 'Absolute Garbage' album on TV that I realised that this was the band who sang 'Cherry Lips (Go Baby)' and 'Why Do You Love Me'. I bought that album on my next trip to JB Hifi.

It took me a while to get used to the more grungy tunes by this band (I actually hated 'Vow' at first) because they were so different to what I had heard before (they seemed so dark). After a while the songs had really grown on me and I kept waiting and waiting for Garbage to release something new. I was absolutely certain that they had included every great song in their 'Absolute Garbage' Album that I hadn't even bothered to look through the older songs on Itunes. After a massive break from releasing music (about seven years) Shirley Manson, Butch Vig, Duke Erikson and Steve Marker got back together and released 'Not Your Kind Of People'.

After listening to 'Not Your Kind of Peope' many many times I finally decided to hop on to the Itunes store and see what interesting tracks I had most likely missed and found my self purchasing a few songs. Some of my favourites are the ones that I didn't discover until then. At this rate I think I am so infatuated by the sound of this band that any old song I find by them could easily make its way onto my most played list. 

I think the name of this band is pretty awesome. Someone could ask me what I was listening to and I would say that I was listening to Garbage. It's a smart name. It's a conversation starter, so people are probably likely to remember it. I often wonder if they called themselves 'Gabage' in spite of the people who would say that their music was bad.

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT GARBAGE:
  1. I like that they don't really fit a specific genre. They are kinda rock, kinda pop and there are bits of hip-hop in there. There are also some really bizarre elements to some of their songs that don't really fit your expectations, but work really well with the music. 
  2. I like that they are a bit different. They aren't afraid to swear or to write songs about certain things or to do some of the odd things they do in music videos. 
  3. I love Shirley Manson's voice. Her voice is nice and deep and it's got a bit of kick in it. 
  4. I think the band does a great job with their Facebook page, keeping people informed of what is going on and raising awareness of a few social issues. It's great that they can be bothered to put stuff on there, especially being such a "Big" band. There are many bands out there with fewer followers that couldn't be bothered with Facebook.
  5. I love that Shirley is a genuine red-head and that she totally rocks it. 
  6. I like that they can write an upbeat song about something that is actually quite sad and make it work.
SONGS I LIKE:
  • 'Run Baby Run' would have to be one of my favourites. I like that it's catchy, but it's also got this sort of uneasy feeling about it.
  • 'Sugar' from 'Not Your Kind of People' is one of those songs I could just put on repeat.
  • 'You Look So Fine' (Fun Loving Criminals remix) is just so perfect.
  • 'I'm Only Happy When It Rains' is so awesome that it doesn't need and explanation.
  • I also really like 'All The Good In This Life'
MUSIC VIDEOS I LIKE:
  • 'Why Do You Love Me' is still one of my most favourite music videos of all time.
  • 'Big Bright World' is pretty cool too...
I also really like to attempt some of their stuff on the guitar. My favourites to play are 'Breaking up the girl' and 'Supervixen'.

Your Favourite Blogger,
Natalie

No comments: